Sunday, June 17, 2012

Adding Lino It bookmarklet to ipad browser

I really like the lino app for the ipad. I think it's a fun way for kids to contribute resources or ideas to their "wall." At the very least, it's an easy way for the teacher to add resources and images to his/her wall. And, Linoit.com offers a nice bookmarklet that one can drag into the Bookmarks Toolbar on your laptop's browser. It makes it VERY easy to post web discoveries to any one of your Lino walls.

But, I didn't see that it was available for the Safari browser on the ipad or other tablet device. I had seen this done with other sites, so I tried it with Lino and it worked perfectly. Now, I am aware that this method may not be the most practical way to install this on a class set of ipads, but if you're going 1:1 with ipads at the middle or high school level, I think they could handle this process. With some help, of course. :)

First, install the Lino bookmarklet in your browser on your desktop or laptop. For most browsers it's a simple drag and drop process.

Next, once it's installed, right click on it and choose Edit. (In the Chrome browser, at least. I forget what it is in the others.)

Now, copy the script that you see in the URL field. It begins with javascript. Triple-click anywhere in that field to select the entire field, then copy.

Email it to yourself! Unless you know of a better way to get some text from your laptop to your ipad, just email it to yourself. We need to get access to it on the ipad.

On the ipad, open the email and copy the script that you just received. (This ends the easy part.) :)

Open Safari, visit linoit.com, and Bookmark it to the Bookmarks Bar.

Next, Click Edit in the top right corner of the Bookmarks Bar window. Then, click the arrow next to Lino it
I renamed this bookmark to Lino it, as I recall. I believe it came in as Lino.com... something. I suggest you rename it to Lino it, as well. It'll save room, if nothing else.

Now, remove the URL in this bookmark and PASTE the code you recently copied from your email.

Click the Bookmarks Bar link in the top left to return to the list, then click Done in the top right corner.

You're ready to Lino! (I don't think Lino is a verb, but maybe I just made it such.)

Let's try it. (This assumes you've already got at least one Lino wall.) Visit a site that you wish to add to your Lino wall. Click the Lino it Bookmark that you just made. You'll see this:
If you've used the Lino it Bookmarklet in you laptop's browser before, you're already familiar with this. If not, it's pretty intuitive. I would just remind you to BE SURE to select the Canvas you wish to use for this post.

There. Relatively simple, yes? Enjoy.

No comments: