Monday, August 15, 2011

I'm REALLY starting to detest FourSquare

CAUTION: Gripe Session Ahead

First of all, I don't get the attraction. But then, I don't get the attraction to tattoos, either, so the fact that I don't get it may be beside the point. I'll grant that.

But, I find that the FourSquare posts to Twitter amount to little more than Spam. In fact, those annoying posts are the essence of what some people find as the major fault of twitter. "I don't CARE what people are having for breakfast." You've heard, or perhaps, even said words to that effect. Right? Well, FourSquare is just that. I'm here, or I'm there, or I'm the new Mayor of someplace. Really? And you think we need to know that.. why?

I follow educators who tweet about what they're reading and learning and discovering. But, more and more I find that the noise from FourSquare tweets amounts to a significant percentage of those tweets. If they were emails I'd have a filter on them to auto-delete them. At BEST they are worthless. At worst they are annoying, time-wasting SPAM and I want to yell, "Knock it off!"

Mayor of some pizza shop?... you've GOT to be kidding.

Update: 12:51 PM
Thanks to a twitter follower, I learned about the Global filter in Tweetdeck. I had been looking at the icons at the bottoms of the columns, but the Global Filter is in the Preferences. Here's a screenshot of what to look for if you, too, want to filter out the FourSquare (4sq.com) tweets.:

2 comments:

Durff said...

You too? I have just come to ignore all those aimless tweets re foursquare. Don't people have anything to do?

Durff said...

You too? I have just come to ignore all those aimless tweets re foursquare. Don't people have anything to do?