Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Needed Approach to Education?

I just spent the better part of the day reading articles of one kind or another that each talk about the state of Education in the US. I just can't believe that we've got a 33% dropout rate nationwide and yet we haven't declared a state of national emergency. We're willing to pump more money into the system, but we're not willing to change the system.

We need to approach Education like a fireman approaches a burning house; with purpose, determination, and an acute sense of urgency.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more...in fact, I liken the waste to that of the BP oil spill.

Check out:
http://danielschristian.com/learning-ecosystems/2010/06/11/an-analogy-illustrating-lost-value/

Daniel Christian
http://danielschristian.com/learning-ecosystems

Anonymous said...

Firemen have a very clear and common objective. Extinguish the fire.

Do we have a clear enough goal to use the same aggressive approach to education?

Jim Gates said...

I think we do have a clear and commons objective in education - to make education meaningful and relevant and interesting enough that we stop the 30% dropout rate. A society cannot sustain itself when 30% of the adults are uneducated.

Now, if you're asking if we have a common vision of HOW to do that, I'd agree that the vision is neither a clear nor common one. But, I don't feel the sense of urgency to fix it, either. True, the districts I've been fortunate enough to work in haven't had the problem to that extent. I think the worst record was something around 5%.

With all that's happening in the world today, with all the problems that our nation faces, and with all the potential that is being squandered, I do think that schools need to be leading the charge. Keep kids in school. Get them excited about their potential. Give them the tools they need to continue learning. Yes, I think that's our collective mission and I believe that we're in denial if we think we can remain a great nation if we continue on our current track. We need to attack the problem like it's a house afire -with kids trapped inside.