Friday, December 11, 2009

Amazing Apple Support

This is not meant to be an ad for Apple Computers, but it can't help but be. Here's the situation.

For a few weeks, now, I've noticed that the battery just wasn't holding a charge. I "recalibrated" it several times, but I'd get, at best, 30 minutes out of it. But, I didn't want to take the time to set up a Help ticket and run to the Apple store somewhere or to a certified repair shop to get it replaced. (The last 30 days have been CRAZY busy) So, I put it off until yesterday afternoon.

I logged into the Apple support page with my serial number (that was easily found under the Apple menu) and when I was looking around I found a button to click to have THEM call ME. I decided to try it. I entered a few bits of information about the problem and clicked the button, wondering how long I'd have to wait for them to call me back. It was within the MINUTE!

The support person walked me through the steps to find some information about the battery, and we discovered that it was, indeed, shot. He transferred me to another teachnician (maybe 30 seconds wait time) and within the next two minutes I was set up for a new battery to be shipped to me.

Now THAT is what I call SUPPORT! I LOVE my Mac!

Footnote:
The battery arrived this morning. I made the call Thursday late afternoon, and it's here at my door on Saturday morning. THAT'S service!

3 comments:

Tramaire said...

My experience is very similar -- and the technician I spoke with worked out of southwestern PA!

Maltese Falcon said...

Jim Gates’ proposal for adapting the ed hub portal to address educational needs conjures up a number of issues essential to the modern classroom. Imagine an online grocery store that showcases only carrots, onions, and potatoes. Each of the vegetables is of high quality, and the accompanying recipes that use those foods are tried and true. Certainly this resource has value, and numerous cooks will take advantage of this online offering. But imagine if someone wants to add a recipe to the online grocery store, a recipe that includes squash. We could have a small committee research the squash, although we run the risk of having no one on the committee with squash expertise, and the committee could apply its rigorous vegetable standards to the squash offering, but if the criteria were originally limited to carrots, onions, and potatoes, or if the monitoring committee’s expertise was limited, the squash recipe may never be vetted.
Imagine, on the other hand, dozens of vegetables and hundreds of recipes submitted to the online vegetable showcase. The quality of the vegetables and the recipes are constantly reviewed and revised by the cooks who are using them. A recipe’s value and usage are updated on an almost daily basis, and chefs from around the world contribute their expertise to the online vegetable showcase.
Teachers know that the classroom is not a static entity….what worked yesterday in period 1 will not necessarily work today in period 4. To claim that this lesson plan will work every time in this situation is to ignore the fluidity of the learning dynamic. Students are not paper clips, massed produced on the assembly line. As educators we must consider the benefits of sameness with its concomitant liabilities. The contributions from a diverse and talented aggregate of teachers from around the globe might impair the sense of security that arises from total control, but the possibilities of a resource that grows and changes as the world changes far outweigh, in my opinion, the abdication of total control. Onion soup is delicious, and it may even be a staple. But there are so many good recipes one can glean from a shallot. Ralph Maltese

Cathy Nelson said...

Wonderful news--Apple DOES have the best support!