Saturday, October 17, 2009

Copyrighted? But I NEED that video!

During a recent discussion with two other teachers, the subject of YouTube videos came up. One person commented that she was upset that she couldn't show some of them to her classes, as they are PERFECT for what she's trying to get across. The conversation went something like this.

Woman: "I link to them and even embed them, but the kids cant see them at school, and some don't have computers at home. It's tough"

Man: "I download them all and upload them into my Moodle."

Woman: "Well, you know that's against the YouTube acceptable use policy and a violation of Copyright."

Man: "Hey, I need them to teach with, so I do what I have to do. I'll use them as long as I am teaching that subject."



And all of that could be avoided if the teachers were given a different filtering policy from students and access to youtube. Instead, the teachers are turning into copyright criminals. The man had ZERO guilt associated with taking those videos.

This could ALL be avoided!

6 comments:

Sally Boone said...

West Virginia Department of Education blocks YouTube for all schools! Crazy! Your solution is simple and makes so much sense!

Jim Gates said...

Oh my.. the entire state has it blocked? Oh my.

Well, we know one thing for sure - it's not a matter of IF it will be unblocked, only WHEN.

JohnBr said...

In The Laws of Disruption by Larry Downes, Downes cites the Law of Disruption as follows:
Technology changes exponentially, but social, economic, and legal systems change incrementally.

Downes notes that this has been the case throughout history starting with the introduction of the leather stirrup around 800, which revolutionized battle and ultimately civilization.

Jim, you are right. Change will come...eventually!

Joseph Thibault said...

Should that man have felt guilt for taking the videos? I don't think so.

I understand that it's in violation of Youtube's policy, but isn't he covered by fair use? It's not like he's modifying the content... Just displaying it in another medium.

I'm asking (not supposing)...So a clarification would be much appreciated if I'm incorrect.

Jim Gates said...

He's permitted to use 10% of it and he's not permitted to keep it forever. And, he may not republish it by putting it, say, on a wiki, unless he's embedding it. He can't upload a new copy that he has downloaded.

That's the copyright part. Still, though, it's a violation of the terms of use for YouTube, thus turning him into a criminal in the eyes of the law, when a simple filter change would prevent it.

Kristin Hokanson said...

Jim...
That 10 % "guideline" is simply that
A GUIDELINE to help interpret the Doctrine of Fair Use-He may keep it all and he MAY KEEP IT FOREVER as long as it is being used for the purpose of scholarship, criticism. I strongly suggest the next time you find yourself in one of these conversations that you encourage the educators to familarize themselves with the work of Temple's Media Education Lab and the work of the American University's Center for Social Media's work on Fair Use ~ The NCTE understands and has accepted the Fair Use Guidelinesas their official policy on fair Use. YES the filtering MUST change...but we also need to start giving teachers a better understanding of Copyright and Fair Use.
I'll be presenting at on the topic at the NCTE conference in November in Philadephia. I hope some of your readers will join me in the conversation :)