Sunday, March 01, 2009

Kick Youtube

I read this in a blog somewhere, but I'm sorry to say that I've forgotten which one. If it was yours, please leave a comment below to let me know.

I didn't post about it right away because I wasn't sure I wanted to talk about ways to illegally download youtube videos. (From the Youtube TOS: "Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only and may not be downloaded, copied, reproduced, distributed, transmitted, broadcast, displayed, sold, licensed, or otherwise exploited for any other purposes whatsoever without the prior written consent of the respective owners.")

But, this exists, and I know that many teachers will download a video to show in class when youtube is blocked. (Of course, giving the teachers the 'key' to the filter would eliminate that, but that's another story.) So here it is. Kickyoutube.

Here's how it works. When someone sends you the url for a youtube video, simply replace the www. portion of the url with the word kick. It'll look something like this:

Original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?=...etc etc
New: http://kickyoutube.com/watch?=...etc etc

In a couple moments you're taken to the new site that has the video showing, and a new mennu bar appears above it that contains the names of common file extensions, from mp4 to avi and more. Click the file type you want, then click GO. The word Go changes to the word DOWN. When it does, right-click the word DOWN and choose Save target as...

That simple.

I've no doubt that kickyoutube is also blocked at school, so you'll have to do this at home, too. And, make sure that when you finish showing this to your class you delete it.

There. But I'm STILL not sure about the ethical part of sharing this.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim,
I once had you as a teacher a few years ago an Summerdale. You were one of the best I have ever had. I teach 6 gr. LA and 8 gr. SS. I often use you tube videos in class, feeling that the educational fair use policy should cover it. Does it? I am not sure, but I do not show the pieces over and over again. You tube is not blocked by my district, or rather, we can legally bypass it with our passwords. The problem is streaming. Obviously, it is not fair to my colleagues to be streaming during the school day. I download the clips using the "vixy" file conversion site. This is the easiest and most convenient that I have found. Simply search for Vixy, copy and paste the you tube URL, choose the format you are converting to (I convert to quicktime for MACS) and it is finished in no time. I hope that this helps...

Anonymous said...

how about vixy? search for vixy, copy and paste URL, and choose the format for conversion. I have a mac, so I use MOV for macs. It works like a charm (I followed the advice of a friend) and although I can stream from you tube at school, I am not using up all of the bandwidth from my colleagues. I often use a clip to demonstrate something for my classes or as an activating strategies.

Mr.D said...

I read it on another blog as well and posted it to the blog on my schools website. I read it at Tammy Worcester's Tech tip of the week, and love it. I used to use vixy, but when I did it online it sometimes failed and when I downloaded the program from their website it sometimes crashed or would allow me to download another vide until I closed and open the program again. For me Kick youtube has been 99.9% accurate without fail.

I also think its ethical to post most blogs give you a link to re-blog

Karl Sprenger said...

On an apple go to the activity window and click on the video flv file that is playing, it is then instantly downloaded onto the mac. I have had some problems lately converting them then to mp4 files, so get real player and use that it works great.

Youtube has some ethical concerns yes, but we often can use the "for educational purposes", or not?

Jim Gates said...

I learned something new today, thanks to you. I leanred two things, actually. First, this Activity Window thing. Never heard of that. Second, I learned that it's in Safari and not Firefox. I'm a big mac man, but I just never use Safari. The big reason is because of our Moodle server and things not working well (at least they DIDN'T work well a while back) in Safari. And, I LOVE my FF extensions.

But, this is VERY good to know. THanks for taking the time to share this.

andy said...

Web casting, or broadcasting over the internet, is a media file (audio-video mostly) distributed over the internet using streaming media technology. Streaming implies media played as a continuous stream and received real time by the browser (end user). Streaming technology enables a single content source to be distributed to many simultaneous viewers. Streaming video bandwidth is typically calculated in gigabytes of data transferred. It is important to estimate how many viewers you can reach, for example in a live webcast, given your bandwidth constraints or conversely, if you are expecting a certain audience size, what bandwidth resources you need to deploy.

To estimate how many viewers you can reach during a webcast, consider some parlance:
One viewer: 1 click of a video player button at one location logged on
One viewer hour: 1 viewer connected for 1 hour
100 viewer hours: 100 viewers connected for 1 hour…

Typically webcasts will be offered at different bit rates or quality levels corresponding to different user’s internet connection speeds. Bit rate implies the rate at which bits (basic data units) are transferred. It denotes how much data is transmitted in a given amount of time. (bps / Kbps / Mbps…). Quality improves as more bits are used for each second of the playback. Video of 3000 Kbps will look better than one of say 1000Kbps. This is just like quality of a image is represented in resolution, for video (or audio) it is measured by the bit rate.