Monday, July 28, 2008

[TIPS] edublogs.tv

I don't know how long this one has been around, so it may not be a tip to many of you. But, http://edublogs.tv is a safe alternative to YouTUbe. No, it doesn't have the variety of content, yet, that youtube has. But, you CAN embed or link to videos, tag them, AND they load amazingly fast. (Unlike another alternative to youtube we've seen.)

I did find a couple things of interest. First, I didn't see any rss feeds. I would think you'd want rss feeds for each category. I don't want to run back here to see if anything new has been posted.

Second, there is no "Contact Us" link anywhere. I wanted to send them a note that they had a typo on a page. (The line said something like, "When someone send you a ..." - send instead of sends.)

Third, this quote: "Upload your own videos or simply grab them from YouTube (it only takes a few clicks!) to avoid school filters." Can you really republish someone else's videos on another site? I didn't know that. Can someone fill me in on that?

Anyway, if they get the rss feeds in place, and if teachers DO start to put the videos from youtube in here, then it certainly does have some great potential. Wouldn't you agree?

3 comments:

Caroline OBannon said...

I know for me since YouTube is blocked at school, that having EdublogsTV has been great! I take the "blocked" link and pull it into EdublogsTV and then I can see it. I'm wondering as well about the legal ramifications of re-publishing someone else's content, but if they allow for embedding in the first place, then is that really different? On second thought, they do brand it with the Edublogs logo. It might be interesting to see in the future how that pans out.

Aside from the contact issue you found, the biggest issue I saw was the lack of a TOS when I first created a profile. I immediately found a video which I would most definitely NOT categorize as educational (It had profanity), so I clicked on the report link and tweeted about it. I was very impressed to have my tweet replied to saying that the video had been removed. At least they're watching and I hope this service can grow. As much as I love YouTube, until we can educate our teachers to be better filters for our students, this is a great alternative.

K. Simon said...

As to the legal issues of YouTube

B. You may access User Submissions solely:

* for your information and personal use;
* as intended through the normal functionality of the YouTube Service; and
* for Streaming.

"Streaming" means a contemporaneous digital transmission of an audiovisual work via the Internet from the YouTube Service to a user's device in such a manner that the data is intended for real-time viewing and not intended to be copied, stored, permanently downloaded, or redistributed by the user. Accessing User Videos for any purpose or in any manner other than Streaming is expressly prohibited. User Videos are made available "as is."


As Caroline's idea of educating teachers to be filters, I believe the solutions lies (at least at the secondary level) in the education of students about how to deal/address inappropriate content they find online.

Jim Gates said...

Thanks to you both for commenting. As I read K. Simon's comment, it appears that it's NOT kosher to repost. "...and not intended to be copied, stored, permanently downloaded, or redistributed by the user. " That, then, concerns me. But then, I just got back from the dentist after an hour in the chair (root canal) and my whole head hurts. I'll re-read this later to see if I get the same meaning.