Friday, June 27, 2008

[TIPS] Ted Turns Two

Am I the only one who is grounded by the fact that the Ted Talks videos are just now turning Two years old? One slide in Karl Fisch's "Shift happens" video (http://thefischbowl.blogspot.com/2007/06/did-you-know-20.html)says that it takes only 4 years to reach on audience of 50 million on the Internet. I have to believe that the TED site broke that average in a hurry. All you need is top quality material that appeals to a wide audience and you can hit that 50 million mark in far less time.

http://www.ted.com/talks - if you've not been there yet (and I can't imagine that you have not) then this is a gift.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

I'm amazed that TED is only two years old. I first heard about it through you - I think it might have been the Randy Pausch Last Lecture. Since then I get the newsletters and have watched alot of the talks. I can't even begin to count how many other people I've turned on the TED. The brain power in this world is phenomenal. So many ideas to think about. And from all walks of life. I look forward to every new posting. It would be great to be able to attend some day.

BTW - our district & IU blocks alot (including YOUR site) and its extremely frustrating, but it's getting better as our voices get louder. Thanks for everything Jim.

Tim said...

Actually, the TED conference has been around since the mid 80's. This is the second anniversary of making video of their presentations available on the web. Certainly something to celebrate!

And I'm also still waiting for my scholarship to attend in person. :-)

Jim Gates said...

Thanks for the clarification. This is certainly another great example of "the economics of free." More attention and "TED envy" has been generated from those videos than any other kind of publicity could have, I'm sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it just two years ago that it cost a mere $3500 to attend? now it's $6500. WOW!