Saturday, June 23, 2007

Are you in my 'Learning Community?'

I'm sitting here in a session at the Edubloggercon here in Atlanta with a couple dozen bloggers from around the nation - and Stwo from Canada. The gist of this conversation is the definition of a learning community. I was disappointed to hear that the consensus of this group is that you are NOT a part of a learning community unless you SAY something. You cannot, in their opinion, "lurk and learn."

So I'm now off to go and comment and a the blogs that I read just so I can say I'm part of their community.

Have you commented on mine, yet?

8 comments:

Steve said...

I've been going back and forth on this one in my own head. In some sense, I think we were just arguing semantics. Does it really matter who is active and who is passive?

But seriously, I suppose it depends on the goal of the community. And you made a great point, if the goal of a learning community is to learn, you don't necessarily need to be vocal to do it.

I think most people in the room may have been assessing the success of a community by the leave of activity. That may be a very fair way to judge a community, but it's certainly not the only way.

Suffice to say you gave me plenty to think about.

Kristin Hokanson said...

You bet my friend...I learn something from you EVERY DAY :)

C. Nelson said...

Okay, so I'll join your learning community. Today was really great, and i think the conversations were priceless, even for those who didn't necessarily facilitate or contribute greatly. Reflective folks (the ones who sit back and absorb) generally eventually offer the best comments in the long run.

Durff said...

Probably not, but I guess I better if I want to be part of your learning community! I do have more freckles to show for my days at The Relay while you all had the real fun in Atlanta...

joshnunn said...

they say you learn something new every day - does making a comment count?

Darcy said...

After following the blogosphere's coverage of NECC2007, I learned that I REALLY want to go next year!

Ken Pruitt said...

I tired of learning...but I am a follower...Tell me what to do Jim :)

Jim Gates said...

LOL! I know what you mean. After just two days at NECC my brain hurts, too.

I feel sorry for the istricts who had teachers who asked to come down here and were denied for some reason, don't you?