Monday, April 30, 2007

[TIPS] An article re:ipods and cell phones in school

http://karlkapp.blogspot.com/2007/04/hire-that-kid.html

Dr Kapp is a professor at Bloomsburg and is writing a book about games for education. His blog often reflects that interest, as does this post, in part. It's in response to the article that reported that kids are using ipods to cheat so schools are now banning ipods. Dr Kapp argues that we've got it all backwards.

"Don't teach kids that the only way to be successful is to memorize
information and then regurgitate it on a paper-and-pencil test. That is
obscene and a lie."

Interesting article. I just wish I could get my mind around the use of cell phones in school. I've still not seen nor heard of a compelling example for how it could be used. And, are we struggling to make a force fit with it? Besides the logistics of who will pay for the minutes the kids use for class purposes, there is no way to filter the internet, something that the Government says we HAVE to do. But, I guess that's material for another day.

1 comment:

dgoshorn said...

I attended this professor's session at the 2007 PETE&C, which centered on using mobile devices in the classroom and, more specifically, designing flash-based applications for the mobile OS that could be used in education.

I liked the idea that he shared of downloadable Flash versions of flashcards (for vocab, etc.) for your mobile phone or PDA.

However, I must admit that getting teachers to learn to design Flash animations/applets is a HUGE stretch of the imagination.

I think that, at the least, we should reconsider our school-wide bans on small electronic devices like mobile phones / PDAs. For instance, when I assigned a written poem for homework, I showed the kiddos a picture that they were to use as inspiration for a poem. Although the photo was also posted on my classroom blog, a youngster had the bright idea of snapping a quick pic with his mobile phone so that he could view it later when sitting down to write the poem. Immediately, a handful of others decided to do the same, perhaps thinking it was a good idea, or perhaps just seizing the momentary lapse in teacher rule compliance.

Hrmmm...