Tuesday, December 05, 2006

[TIPS] Smith's 9th Honors Class Blog: Period 2 This I Believe...

Here's a reality check for those who struggle with getting freshman kids to write anything meaningful. Perhaps you're asking them the wrong questions. Take this example: http://annesmith9h.blogspot.com/2006/11/period-2-this-i-believe.html Oh... sorry.. it's a blog. You probably can't read it at school. But if you could you'd hear this 9th grade class speaking their, "This I Believe" papers. Can someone please tell me what's wrong with an assignment like this? There must be something wrong or our schools wouldn't be stopping it.
 
From the site: "What is so intriguing to me about this assignment is that these kids wanted to not just complete it, but to share the things they believed in with the world. They wanted to be in-charge of letting others hear what is important to them, what mattered to them."
 
When you can, give this a listen. Make sure you listen to Shauna M's podcast. What a wonderful perspective from a 14 yr old. Oh, you may remember Karl Fisch, the "Did You Know" guy. This teacher is in his school district. Progressive district, is it not? THEY'RE in the race. Are YOUR students?

7 comments:

Karl Fisch said...

Even better, Anne (the teacher) is in my building! She's an amazing teacher - and these are great kids with a lot to say. I hope folks follow the link, listen to a few of the podcasts, and then leave them some comments.

Jim Gates said...

I just pointed this out to another group of over 40 librarians and tech directors today and played part of one podcast for them. I'm sure that they'll be stopping in to listen. I talked it up. I talked up your blog, as well, mentioning how - with a single powerpoint - you became almost a household name with curriculum directors across the country. You would have been pleased to see how many had seen that powerpoint already.

In any case, while we had to make special arrangements to unblock your site (and all blogs, for that matter) for my presentation today (sigh)they got to see the list of teacher blogs and will no doubt be checking them out soon.

paigen said...

I am one of the students in Ms. Smith's laptop class and I would just like to thank you for saying such great things about us. It truely is a unique experience using laptops in the classroom but I enjoy it very much. I hope that other students get to have the same experience that I have had.

christa s said...

I am one of the kids in Ms. Smith's class, and the podcasts were a very different but fun experience. Just adding our voices to our papers made them so much more real and I felt like by listening to them I could identify with everyone in my class a little better. These papers really made me want to do well so that I could let people all around the country and possibly the world know what I believe and what I have learned in life so far.

christa s said...

I am one of the kids in Ms. Smith's class, and the podcasts were a very different but fun experience. Just adding our voices to our papers made them so much more real and I felt like by listening to them I could identify with everyone in my class a little better. These papers really made me want to do well so that I could let people all around the country and possibly the world know what I believe and what I have learned in life so far.

Karl Fisch said...

I should've mentioned this in my previous comment, but you only linked to Period 2 in your post - Period 5 is feeling left out!

Lane C. said...

I am in Ms. Smith's 5th hour and I must say I really enjoyed this assignment. It was a difficult thing to write but I enjoyed it and would say that I learned things about myself. I also liked that we could really put our voices into these papers. Literally. I would say that mine is not how I write but how I talk. I like that. It makes what I said more real and more personal.